Please note: What we can do is obviously subject to both the further release of Government restrictions and what the railway is able to accommodate given its operating environment. Please keep an eye on this website and our social media for further updates.
It’s that time of year again, and thankfully after a hiatus we are able in some form to run our annual Urie Society Open day once more.
With excellent progress being made on 499, there will be the usual opportunities to:
• Meet the engineering team
• Share your stories with our President, Bob Urie, and our Patron, Mark Collins
• See the progress on 499’s frames and the tools we use!
• Display of key artefacts from Robert Urie – from 1:30pm onwards
• Photographic display of 499’s restoration so far and remember when 506 was a pile of bits!
•• Subject to Covid rules, we hope to have the boilershop open for viewing
•• Subject to restrictions, guided tours of the shed for ULS members only
•• IF Government restrictions have been lifted sufficiently, short cab rides on 506 from the coaling dock
• View the Robert Urie memorial rose garden
• Visit the shop which will be open for business… plus Urie sales stand on the ‘up’ platform
• The TJunction will be open for refreshments, including their excellent bacon baps!
PLUS, NEW FOR 2021:
• The ULS have combined with the Ropley Miniature Railway team who will be putting on their First ever gala with their home fleet plus two visiting steam locomotives. ULS members will be welcomed to have a look around the locomotives in the yard if practical, and you’ll definitely get a free ride; don’t forget to bring your membership card!
• Mini steam – a small display of miniature traction engines, subject to availability.
This is our first gathering in almost Two years so we are anticipating a strong turnout. Because parking is so limited at Ropley we are hoping to make use of the field on the left of Station Hill used for parking at the railway’s main events. Again, please keep an eye on thIs website and our social media for updates. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible, don’t forget to bring your friends and let’s make it a cracking day!
A raffle is to be held for a framed photograph of 506 donated by one of our members and supporters, Dave Ryding. Measuring W 45″ x H 30″, double mounted and faced with non-reflective glass this will surely be a perfect addition to any home. Tickets will be sold on the day at 50p each.
Urie Loco Society Open Day Parking
Visitors wishing to have a steam hauled trip along the railway whilst visiting us for our open day are advised to park at either Alresford or Alton and use the ‘Watercress Wanderer’ service, see timetable below. Tickets bought on the day for this train are slightly different from the other services in that they allow the holder to ‘hop on, hop off’ all day as opposed to the set time trip operated on both the King Alfred Climber and the Austen Adventurer.; BUT please remember your ticket is only valid for the Wanderer.
If you’re coming along to the open day and do not wish to travel the line please use the top car park off Bighton Hill, satnav SO24 9SQ
|THE WATERCRESS WANDERER
We look forward to seeing you on Saturday!